Finding alternatives

When I woke up this morning (after an excellent night's sleep, thank you for asking) I didn't really have anything planned for the day. I got up, toasted some hot cross buns, spilled coffee down my pyjamas, changed into clean ones, and climbed back in bed to read.

It was well into the morning before I finished the latest whodunnit and climbed out of bed. In an attempt to be productive, I took up The Fluffy Thing and whiled away a few hours crocheting and watching TV.


I did not make as much progress as I'd hoped. By lunchtime I was getting annoyed with it and decided to do something else for the afternoon. I made myself a BLAT salad, (feeling quite smug that I'd managed to select a perfect avocado by sight alone during my supermarket mission the other day) and scarfed it down while considering what to do next.

It seemed sensible (and not too arduous) to continue my clothes sorting by attacking the chest of drawers. I started with the sock drawer, because it was mostly organised already, just a bit overfull. I sorted through and turfed out pairs that were getting thin or holey, and packed them tidily into the drawer again. Nice.


The next drawer down generally holds, well, whatever I happen to shove in it. Officially it's supposed to be tights and sleepwear, but even that category covers a lot of items. I had pyjama pants I never wear, old holey merino tops, loose tshirts and a bulky pile of winter tights.

I threw out the holey merinos. When my merino tops get too worn for daily wear, I use them for winter pyjama tops. But these were completely gone in the elbows and other areas, plus I'm likely to divert several more into the P.J. drawer when I come to sorting through the merinos.

The tights have always been a problem. I wear fleecy tights all winter, so I have quite a few pairs, but they take up a lot of room in a drawer. I've sometimes wondered if it would be better to make some kind of arrangement to hang them up instead, but I was keen to fit them in a drawer if I could. I watched a few tight-folding tutorials on YouTube for ideas, but I didn't find anything that looked much better than I was already doing. In the end, I came up with a method myself - one that reduced the bulk of the tights so they would pack away much more tidily than before. I was quite pleased with that.


I didn't attempt any more drawers after that. There'll be time tomorrow, and anyway, I was going out for a walk with a friend.

Hang on, that's not allowed! You're right, it's not - unless you think outside the box. Lauren and I often meet for a walk around Hagley Park on weekends. It's a chance to get in a little exercise as well as a catchup. It's amazing how quickly you cover the ground when you're busy chatting. We'd both been missing our regular walks, so I proposed an alternative: we both go for a solitary walk, but chat on the phone while we do it.

It worked quite well, actually. We had occasional problems with wind noise or passing vehicles - I ended up winding through residential streets were there was little or no traffic - but on the whole it was successful. We had a decent walk, and a good old chinwag, which is pretty much our usual thing. We just did it lockdown style this time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those feijoas

Not gardening