More of the same

It must be pretty boring to read about bathroom painting three days in a row. What I can tell you is it's even more tedious spending that length of time doing the actual painting.

When I hauled myself out of bed around nine this morning, I told myself sternly "you will be painting by 10 o'clock". It's important to be firm with yourself about these things.

At 10.30, I started setting up for the day's painting. I'd had a look at yesterday's efforts and decided to do one more complete coat. The areas I masked yesterday made the job so much easier that I chose to tape a few more edges I hadn't bothered with previously. Never mind that they already had smeary overpaints on them, at least I wouldn't have to worry about making more.

By the time I stopped for lunch, I'd completed the second coat. Compared to yesterday, the painting went remarkably smoothly: no setbacks, no disasters, and may I say I never stepped in the paint tray, which is possibly the most surprising aspect of the whole thing.


There the painting is to end. There are plenty of spots that are not as good as they could be, areas I should have prepared better, and places that could maybe use another coat. But if I start with any of that I'll be at it another day at least.

After a sensible paint-drying pause, I spent the afternoon removing plastic sheeting and masking tape, reinstalling towel rails, doorstop and wall heater, and generally tidying up the mess.

On the whole, it looks pretty good, certainly better than the cracked and mildewy appearance it was presenting a few days ago. I'll get used to the cream colour soon enough. It's slightly overwhelming in such a small room, but I have seen worse colours in many a bathroom.

So that's one thing crossed off the 'to do' list. It probably hasn't cured me of staring at the wall, but now at least I will only be scrutinising the paint job, rather than looking at a disgraceful mess and contemplating options for dealing with it.

In other news: I have chosen the 'cotton and bamboo' yarn bin for my next stash buster project. I'm not sure what it's going to be yet: at this point, I'm just playing around with possibilities. Watch this space.

Another thing that's going to be high on the list tomorrow is dealing with my ever increasing collection of feijoas. The tree continues to shed them like dandruff, and I can't keep pace at all. I think there'll be some going in the freezer, but I can probably make something else as well. Any ideas?


Soon I hope to finish tidying up the garden. I've been holding off on this, since my green bin was not emptied last week. Since my neighbours' ones on either side were collected, I can only assume there was something problematic about where I had put mine for collection. Tonight I have scored a prime bin spot right next to the driveway; I don't believe the bin men can have cause to overlook it this time.

So that's another day gone, and I think I've earned an evening with my feet up. And tomorrow, I'll have something to report that's not about painting. I promise.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those feijoas

Finding alternatives

Not gardening