Unfinished business

It's obvious that my task for today was to finish sorting through the chest of drawers. I still had a number of drawers to do, and there's no point leaving a job half-done, is there?

I pulled out the three drawers below the one I did yesterday. These contained a mish-mash of togs, trakkies, shorts and "brr it's cold" clothes. You will be astonished to hear that the drawer containing what I loosely consider 'exercise clothes' also held a certain amount of dust. 

As I carefully folded and put away the 'keep' items, I found that the remaining contents, originally from three drawers, now only filled one and a half. I have a whole empty drawer there! Perhaps I don't need a basket in the wardrobe for scarves and such, after all.


From there I moved to the drawers on the right-hand side. These are more commonly in use, holding my t shirts, singlet tops, merinos and other standard layering items. I dug through these, consigned a few more items to rag bag or donation mountain, relegated a few worn merinos to the pyjama drawer, and stowed the remainder tidily back in the drawers.

Satisfied with my morning's work, I got myself a cuppa and sat on my bed in the partial sunshine, latest improbable murder scenario in hand. Some while later, I found I had inadvertently dozed off, only woken by the now-searing heat of the sun and the rumbling of a hungry belly.

Between mouthfuls of salad, I googled feijoa recipes. Ripe feijoas are now beginning to fall from the tree, and if I'm not careful to use them, I'll find them going off faster than they can be eaten. I selected an easy-looking recipe for feijoa loaf, and headed into the kitchen, where I tidied up the bench space, (breaking another coffee cup in the process) and got out the necessary ingredients.


It didn't take long to get the loaf in the oven. The baking time in the recipe was 45-50 minutes, so in the meantime I got on with banal household tasks - dishes, vacuuming and dusting. I did check the oven from time to time, which was lucky, as it turned out. After only 30 minutes the loaf looked done. Maybe I was using a different sized loaf tin than the one in the recipe? I took it out and made investigations with a skewer. Sure enough, it seemed cooked to me.

 I'm glad I trusted my instinct rather than the recipe. Now cooled and cut, the loaf looks perfect. And it's tasty, by the way. I'll have to keep this one in mind, because there are still plenty of feijoas on the tree!



Postscript: I've just had a lovely chat with Becs and Myah, who called me while out on a walk. Looks like the phone-walking thing might catch on! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those feijoas

Finding alternatives

Not gardening